We hope to see you at our next meeting!

Advertisements

Meeting Minutes 4/6/16

SGO Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

  • Welcome/Introductions
  • Funding Approvals
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $9,826.41 → $10,284.41
  • Student reimbursement
    • $600 over three years instead of just $200 per year? Discuss.
    • Keep at $200 per year – simpler, more financially viable and encourages students to spread out their professional development activities.
    • Decided to raise amounts per year instead, have 3-tier system of in-state, out of state and international $$ limits.
    • Allison will research exact amounts and suggest at next meeting.
  • Elections
    • Chair, Treasurer and Communications Officer positions open for the 2016-2017 school year.
    • Schedule
      • April 5 – 19: Nominations
      • April 19 – May 2: Voting
      • May 3: Winners announced
    • Students are encouraged to nominate themselves! Send an email to lissgo@gmail.com with your nomination. Voting will take place via an emailed survey to all students.
  • Student Curriculum Committee met March 19th
    • Minutes here.
    • Came up with various issues, solutions and questions we have regarding the curriculum in this program.
    • Central conflict: not enough students to conduct a variety of classes, but need a variety of classes to attract students.
    • Will meet with Faculty Committee on April 18 at 4:00pm in CdC 5 to discuss possible solutions/come to an agreement.
    • Meeting comments:
      • What are other LIS programs doing? Are they having similar problems?
      • Combine similar classes?
  • Course enrollment survey
    • Meant to narrow down course offerings to what students actually intent to take, warn students in advance of possibly cancelling courses.
  • Student groups update
    • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
      • Elections for Chair, Secretary open now. Email tcmclachlan@stkate.edu with your nominations (including yourself).
      • Panel event coming up: LIS Services For Adoptive Families – Friday, April 15th @ 7:00pm in Mendel 106
      • Last formal meeting of the semester on April 19th in CdC 5 @ 5:00pm
      • Informal meeting at Sea Salt Eatery in May yummmmm
    • SLA – Samantha Stepp
      • Got additional funds for SLA Scholarship, hopefully somebody applies
      • Elections too
      • Information Professional Panel 2: April 30th @ 12:00pm
    • SAA – Kristell Benson
      • “Turn a New Page” April 4 (last night). Had professionals look at resumes and cover letters and give good advice.
      • Cataloging pizza party was fun and interesting
      • Monday, April 11 is next meeting, “Preserve Your Sanity” Happy Hour is at 7:00pm at Tiffany’s on Ford Pkwy
    • PLG – Edwin Schenk
      • Re: Cataloging and Pizza Party, got ~75 books cataloged
      • Will need positions filled for next year
  • Committee updates (no updates)
    • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
    • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
    • Facilities – Kristell Benson
    • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
      • See Student curriculum committee stuff
    • Program – Allison Current
      • Working on the website, nobody seems to have an answer. Lots of documents lost when went to the new website.
      • Doing interviews for both Office Manager and IT Support Specialist
      • Tuition went up to $886 – had asked for a long time not to raise it and succeeded
      • 8-10 summer admits!
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
    • No meeting in March
  • Open forum – what do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?
  • Questions? Comments?

 

Meeting Minutes 3/1/16

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Conference call-in option: 641-715-3580 with access code 358-995

  • Welcome/Introductions
  • Funding Approvals
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $10,141.41 → $9,826.41
  • Student Curriculum Committee created – will meet March 19th to discuss curriculum issues and formulate some stances.
    • Samantha Stepp
    • Liz Bastyr
    • Deb Eschweiler
    • Kristin Hall
    • Heather Carroll
    • Amber Yares
  • New Student Facebook and LinkedIn Groups
    • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/stkatecirculation/
      • 81 members right now
    • LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8478402
      • 14 members right now
    • Student Kristin Hall has created these wonderful forums for St. Kate MLIS students to communicate. Check them out! They are both closed groups to allow student discussion of whatever topics we wish away from the prying eyes of faculty or administration. Simply request to be added and you will!
    • Good for job postings, chatting about program stuff and general library stuff. Professional networking. Hoping to expand. The more people we have, the better networking opportunities we’ll have.
  • Student showcase at the MLIS Summit
    • Kristin Hall (knhall@stkate.edu) is organizing and is looking for help! Email her if you’re interested or if you have some work you’d like to put on display.
    • Mini-conference for students looking to show off their work to LIS professionals and St. Kate’s alums in the Twin Cities.
    • Provides peer-review experience, presentation experience, professional networking experience for students who can’t make it to conferences.
  • Still looking for a student to sit on the IT Coordinator hiring committee.
  • Student groups update
    • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
      • Young Adult author panel at the Highland Park Library Saturday, March 12th at 1:00pm. Donuts!!!!!1
      • Next meeting is March 15th @ 5:00 in CdC 5
    • SLA – Samantha Stepp
    • SAA – Kristell Benson
      • Meeting on Monday
      • Opportunity to tour Target Archives Friday March 11th at noon. If interested, email Jessica Faucher or Kristell.
    • PLG – Edwin Schenk
      • Party at East Side Freedom Library on the 21st. Pizza and pop!
  • Committee updates (no updates)
    • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
    • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
    • Facilities – Kristell Benson
    • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
    • Program – Allison Current
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
    • Talked about gift shop/bookstore and cafeteria concerns (hours)
    • Alumnae/i relations did a presentation – events, workshops, etc.
  • Open forum – what do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?
  • Tasha was looking through the old ALA Google Drive and there was nothing on ALA’s inclusion in the summit.
  • Questions? Comments?

Meeting Minutes 2/09/16

SGO Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Conference call-in option: 641-715-3580 with access code 358-995

 

  • Welcome/Introductions
  • Funding Approvals
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $11,045.90 → $10,141.41
  • Student group stipend discussion
    • Do we have enough? Or should we save it all for individual students?
    • Decided to keep with the old system, but student groups can ask for money ahead of time instead of getting reimbursed
    • IFLA counts as an international conference even though it’s in Ohio.
  • Greater collaboration with program
    • As SGO, it’s our responsibility to aid communication between students and the program at large. Advised committee reps to take on a more proactive role.
    • Kids in class
      • Will put a detailed blurb about Access and Success program in next newsletter – have many resources for graduate students with children.
      • Open forum – questions? concerns?
    • Curriculum
      • Forming a task force to lay out issues/changes we want to see, bring to the faculty curriculum committee
      • Send around sign-up
    • Student voices
      • Create SGO Facebook page for student-to-student discussion about the program in general
  • New electronic funding form launched!
    • Linked in first newsletter
    • Link also available on “Get Funding” page of the SGO blog
  • Student groups update
    • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
      • First meeting is 16th @ 5:00 in CdC 5
      • Nancy Sims coming on the 22nd to talk about copyright
    • SLA – Samantha Stepp
      • Toured Walker Art Center Library on January 28th
      • First meeting last Thursday
      • Information Professional Panel coming up Monday, Feb 29th
    • SAA – Kristell Benson
      • First meeting last night
      • SGO Liaison now an official officer position
      • VP is now Sara Butterfass
      • Fundraising committee looking into ways to fundraise
        • Smashburger has percentage of sales-type fundraiser
        • Bowling alley nearby also has several options
      • Annual report a success
      • PLG came by and talked about what they are doing with East Side Freedom Library project
      • Looking at doing a tour of the Target archives in March
      • Cover letter writing and resume practice for archival positions/library positions in general
      • Couple of outreach projects in the works with Minnesota State Law Library, War Road, and WARM
      • Next meeting March 14th
    • PLG – Edwin Schenk
      • East Side Freedom Library project
      • Partnering with some Asian student groups (contact spark@stkate.edu)
      • Hmong archives event happening tomorrow 5-9
      • Tour on the 15th at the Freedom Library, showing a movie at 7 after
  • Committee updates
    • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
      • No meetings yet
      • Often talk about research in faculty development meetings
    • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
      • Scholarships are a thing, check out the web page
      • Wendy will email Sam highlights
    • Facilities – Kristell Benson
      • We got new stuff! Standing desks, floor outlets, new carpet, new paint, new layouts.
    • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
      • New enrollment minimums causing classes to be cancelled (due to low enrollment in the program)
      • How can students have a stronger voice?
      • Many stakeholders – faculty, administration, students
      • Students forming committee to discuss curriculum issues and what changes we want to see – see bullet point above
      • ALA requires certain courses to be taught on at least a two-year rotation
      • Should enrollment caps be a percentage of the total students in the program rather than a hard number?
    • Program – Allison Current (Samantha Stepp)
      • Access & Success came and explained services – list of babysitters and child-friendly study room
        • Have baseline policy of no children but faculty can deviate from that
      • Discussion about portfolios & intent to graduate
        • students don’t know what to do, need to standardize portfolio requirements, put dates on advising form
      • Searching for replacements for Laura (Office Manager) and Nick (IT Support Coordinator)
        • Want a student to sit on Nick’s hiring committee – email SGO if interested!
  • GSAB update – Allison Current
    • Need one more liaison for this
  • Open forum – what do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?
  • Questions? Comments?

Meeting Minutes 12/03/15

SGO Meeting Minutes

Thursday, December 3, 2015

  • Welcome/Introductions
  • Tues/Thurs Meetings Discussion?
  • Funding approvals
    • – 1 student approved
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $12,288.55 → $11,045.90
  • Student groups update
    • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
      • Met with Outreach Coordinator at St. Kate’s Library for an author event, want to get an international author
      • Antonio working on a project with Highland Park Library
        • Teen Spring Writing Contest!
        • Have one month to write up a short story, get entered into a drawing
        • Have a route to fund the scholarships for the contest
        • March 12th for contest and event
        • Have an author event too, have teens read out their short stories
    • SLA – Samantha Stepp
      • Information Professionals Panel this past Monday got cancelled, probably moving to Feb 29th.
      • SLA-MN Holiday Party and Silent Auction next Monday – got 20-25 gifts
      • Last meeting Dec. 17th, mostly wrapping up.
    • SAA – Kristell Benson
      • Social hour Dec 14th at Golden’s Deli in St. Paul – EVERYONE invited!
      • Electing new Media Relations Officer and Vice President
      • Fundraising committee looking into new means of raising funds, presenting at January meeting.
      • MN Supreme Court HIstorical Society wants SAA to work on a small project.
      • Warroad wants SAA to work on a project, too.
      • Annual Report due December 31st – sent to SAA National.
    • PLG – Edwin Schenk
      • Things are happening
      • Found someone to be Mailing Officer
      • Partnered with the East Side Freedom Library – hoping to build a library that is a collection of different immigrant communities in the area – zines, etc.
        • Need people with knowledge of Apache and Lynux for building a libguide and catalog
        • Going to host Peter and Bruce for a panel discussion in February to get the word out about the East Side Freedom Library
      • Hosting a PLG Reception in the spring for regional PLG members @ the East Side Freedom Library
  • Committee updates
    • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
    • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
      • Making sure the student handbook is up-to-date
      • Planning for the next group of entering students
      • New student orientation Jan. 3rd
      • Getting word out about accreditation, could use help from SGO
    • Facilities – Kristell Benson
      • Classroom renovation in CdC 19
        • Will have cart with computers for people to use, maybe Chromebooks
      • Putting floor chargers in CdC 5! No more death by dripping over an electrical cord.
      • Talked about CdC 17 improvement
    • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
      • Curriculum Committee has taken over faculty meetings to revise student learning outcomes
    • Program – Allison Current
  • GSAB update – Samantha Stepp
    • Next February the graduate school is putting on two SWEET sounding programs for students’ professional development. The first is a StrengthsQuest session on Wednesday, February 10th from 5:00pm-6:30pm. The second is Salary Negotiation and LinkedIn Success Strategies on Wednesday, February 25th from 5:00pm-6:00pm. Stay tuned for details on locations and how to register.
    • Talk from St. Kate’s Access and Success. Bringing kids to class isn’t unheard of in other programs.
    • Talk from St. Catherine Experience.
  • Reimbursement process
    • How much should we give to student groups?
    • New electronic form launch date
  • December Graduate Reception is Monday, December 21 (time and location TBA). We are responsible for handing out cards and pins and a gift (if we want) to each graduate. GSAB offers a $10 stipend for gifts for graduates so we can take advantage of that, too and get them a nice mug or something from the bookstore.
  • Next semester meeting dates/times
    • First Tuesday of every month, second week of February.
  • Questions? Comments?