Meeting Minutes 5.11.17

Welcome/Introductions

Graduate Reception

  • Sign graduate cards
  • Monday, May 15th @ 6-8pm in CdC 401
  • Deb E. and maybe Heather will be handing out the cards

Financials

  • Funding Approvals – approved 1 student reimbursement and two catering requests
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $6,966.78 → ~$5,900
  • Can’t fund IFLA because it’s part of a class

Student Groups

  • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
    • Gene Luen Yang event coming up
      • Applying for honorarium, working on fundraising for that
    • Two new officers: Rose Prullage – new Secretary and Lauren Cottrell – new Co-Chair
    • Having meetings on second Wednesday of the month in the fall
  • SLA – Sarah Larsen
    • Last meeting of the semester – May 18 at 5:15 in CdC 19. We’ll have some treats, wrap up the year and talk about next year’s plans
    • Our 2017-2018 officers have been elected. They are:
      • President: Janis Shearer
      • Vice-President: Sarah Larsen
      • Secretary and Treasurer: Amy Werner
  • SAA – Kristell Benson
    • Wondering if SGO would be willing to help plan e-Portfolio panel and bowling social event
    • Looking for suggestions from students for events and places to tour
    • Need help with community projects – digitizing WARM Journals and going through mail art for MCBA
      • Contact saa@stkate.edu for details!
    • No June meeting – Historically Accurate Costume Party May 23rd @ 8pm – please RSVP!
    • New Co-Presidents: Zach and Heather
  • PLG – Lauren Cottrell
    • Just had mailing party yesterday – journals are sent out
    • Talked about Gene Yang event
    • May have meetings twice per month on Thursdays in the Fall

Committees

  • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
  • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
    • Not meeting this year
    • Main things on the agenda would be managing the vetting of the research award and perhaps touching base on the orientation for new summer students
    • Possible idea for next year: coordinate all the scholarship offerings so applications are due at the same time so students wouldn’t be faced with different deadlines
    • Thinking about accreditation, one way SGO could be involved is to have informal sessions on what reaccreditation is, the process, etc. etc.– so students have an informed view of the overall process prior to the accred team visit
  • Facilities – Kristell Benson
  • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
    • At Faculty meeting, approved the new vision, mission and values of program
  • Program Meeting – Lauren Cottrell (backup: Deb Eschweiler)
    • All computers on campus are getting updated to Windows 10 over the summer
    • Administration recommended programs not spend $ on food providers other than Sodexo
    • Graduate Reception coming up
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
    • Bacon was served
    • Discussed how GSAB could be more engaging next year – cross-engagement between programs

Business Cards

  • From Zach: will get them done by the end of May.

Orientation

  • Thursday, June 1st, 7-9pm – student group leaders should plan to be there – 1 or 2 reps
    • Check with Prof. Lesniaski to see what time to arrive
  • 10-11 students taking 7010 this summer

Open Forum

What do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?

 

There are university events that graduate students might want to be aware of that aren’t publicized to use (e.g., headshots for undergrads at the graduation rehearsal).

 

Dew Drop Bop is tomorrow! 30th Anniversary!
Questions? Comments?

Meeting Minutes 4.13.17

Welcome/Introductions

Elections

  • Winner:
    • Treasurer: Trish Vaillancourt
    • Communications Officer: Janis Shearer
    • Co-Chairs: Deb Eschweiler & Heather Carroll
  • Sam will email current officers and new officers to begin training

Financials

  • Funding Approvals – 3 approvals
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $6,062.78 → $6,966.78

GSAB General Fund

  • Two general fund proposals:
    • Lighting on campus: $1,500
      • MLIS Program not contributing
    • Community garden: tabled for now
  • To general fund: $250

Graduate Reception

  • Need someone to hand out cards at the graduate reception – Deb E. will do it, maybe Heather C.
  • Monday, May 15th @ 6-8pm
  • Sam will handle putting cards together

Student Groups

  • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
    • ALA Conversations will be held on Saturday, April 22nd from 12:15- 1:30 in CdC 20.  It will be an informal conversation with recent grads about the field and job market.  There will be pizza!
    • MLIS Summit is coming up
    • Gene Luen Yang event is coming up June 12th (see fliers in classroom for more info) – they need some help coming up with fundraising ideas so let Chayse know if you have any!
    • There is a scholarship available to go to ALA Annual!  Again, see flier in every classroom
    • MLA session proposals are due May 1st (Link to info)
    • Elections are coming up!  Email Chayse for more information on Co-chair and Secretary positions (he will probably also send out an email, but has been having some email issues)
  • SLA – Sarah Larsen
    • Our Spring 2017 Information Professionals Panel was on Monday and we had an excellent discussion with our panelists. We hope to have notes/photos up on our blog this weekend.
    • We are accepting nominations for leadership positions until April 17. Email stkatesla@gmail.com if you are interested.
    • Our next meeting is April 20 at 5:15 in CdC 19.
  • SAA – Kristell Benson
    • ePortolio panel two Mondays ago
      • 22 people attended
      • Great discussion – Tony and Joyce were great
      • Should include this information in 7010
      • Side note: SGO should start hosting these programs (ePortfolio, Job Seeker Panel, etc.)
    • Job Seeker panel went well – 18 student attended
      • May split into two events next time between panel and one-on-one conversations
    • Officer elections going on now – please vote
    • New SAA internship directory on both national and student group website
    • Two new projects: Minnesota Center for Book Arts & WARM Project Journals
    • TCART still accepting scholarship applications
  • PLG – Lauren Cottrell
    • Next meeting April 26 @ 5:00pm in CdC 5
    • School Supplies Drive April 18-30
      • Really need backpacks and calculators. Will also take notebooks, pencils, folders etc
      • Bring supplies to box in the MLIS lounge
      • Will be donating supplies to School Tools Drive, which provides numerous outreach programs throughout the area with the supplies to distribute to students who need them
      • Partnering with campus ministry, who will have collections at their weekend services
    • Working on updating social media feeds
    • New positions: Kallie Schell taking over Twitter, Lauren Cottrell taking over as Secretary

Committees

  • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
    • Demonstration of Google Classroom by Dr. Molaro (to see if other faculty would utilize it)
    • Sarah’s grad assistant Chayse has been updating the evaluation for faculty performance
  • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
  • Facilities – Kristell Benson
  • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
  • Program Meeting – Lauren Cottrell (backup: Deb Eschweiler)
    • Revising vision and mission statement – bring to Summit for feedback
    • Poster Fair at the Summit
      • Two judges (Sook and Tony) will judge posters and determine a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner
      • Main categories are content, organization, and appearance.
    • New program website is now live
      • Plan to add all student officers to the student representative section.
      • Groups should check the Student Organizations tab to make sure the links to their sites are correct.
      • If you have an event coming up it can be posted on the site.
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer

Business Cards

  • From Zach: I plan to get the templates and design instructions (concerning font, text size, coloring, etc.) done over the weekend, so should have them to you by sometime next week.

Orientation

  • Thursday, June 1st, 7-9pm – student group leaders should plan to be there
  • 10-11 students taking 7010 this summer

Open Forum

What do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?

 

Questions? Comments?

Meeting Minutes 3.9.17

Welcome/Introductions

New Program Director Hiring Panel

  • The administration is looking for two students to sit on an interview committee for the new Program Director
  • Interviewing Dr. Joyce Yukawa and Dr. Tony Molaro on Monday, April 3, from 1:00-4:00pm
  • Would get job description, statements of interest, and CVs from Tony and Joyce
  • Should not solicit other students’ opinions; judge solely based on interviews and CV
  • Students will listen in and fill out a form to send to Dean Joann Bangs anonymously with their evaluations
  • Anyone interested contact Heidi Hammond, hkhammond@stkate.edu
  • Deb Eschweiler will do it

Multicultural Graduate Student Group

  • Multicultural graduate student group across all graduate programs
  • Janis Shearer starting – announcing at GSAB next week
  • There will be a survey going out to students who identify as a racial/ethnic group asking for feedback

Business Cards

Elections

  • Still collecting nominations
  • 2 nominations for Chair and Communications Officer; 1 nomination for Treasurer
  • Nominees for Chair and Communications Officer will give 30-second pitches at next SGO Meeting on Thursday, April 13.
  • Write up pitches to send out with election Google Form
  • April 14 – 28: elections
  • April 29: winners announced!

St. Kate’s Circulation – Student Facebook Group

  • New Communications Officer responsibility: invite new students to the FB group every semester
  • Include in orientation materials?

Financials

  • Funding Approvals – 1 student approved
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $6,222.87 → $6,062.78

Professional Associations Fair

  • Student groups invited!
  • When: Monday, April 24, 5-6pm (first hour of MLIS Summit)
  • Where: St. Catherine University, Coeur de Catherine Building, 3rd Floor Atrium
  • This will be an opportunity for your organization to collaborate with your state chapter counterparts while educating fellow students on your organization’s opportunities for networking and professional development.
  • Please RSVP here: https://goo.gl/forms/uUEKDi86hOD8GNuk1
  • Also related to re-accreditation: make sure your websites are updated with correct information

Student Groups

  • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
    • Next meeting is March 14th in CdC 18 @ 5:15pm
    • ALA national presidential elections coming up soon – any member can vote
    • Can still get early bird rates for ALA Annual in Chicago
  • SLA – Sarah Larsen
    • Moved March meeting to next Wednesday, March 15 in CdC 20 @ 5:15
    • Currently accepting applications for $1,000 SLA Conference Scholarship
      • Applications due April 7
    • Spring Information Professionals Panel
      • April 10th @ 6:00pm in CdC 19
      • MIA librarian, Target product taxonomist
    • MIA having an Edible Book Festival on Sunday, April 2nd, 12-4pm      
      • Location: Minneapolis Institute of Art, Target Wing 1st floor, Friends Community Room.
      • If you have a taste for books, join us at the Minneapolis Institute of Art for a free family-friendly event hosted by Mia’s Library Affinity Group.
      • Submit your own entry to be judged, or just stop by, enjoy refreshments, and cast your ballot for the winner in the People’s Choice category.
      • For information about the event or submission guidelines, please refer to Mia’s website at: https://new.artsmia.org/event/edible-book-festival-2017/
      • The submission form & guidelines are on Mia’s website at: at: https://new.artsmia.org/event/edible-book-festival-2017/
      • Accepting submissions from students – must be at least 75% edible, must resemble a book
    • Looking for leadership for next year
  • SAA – Kristell Benson
    • Will begin taking nominations for SAA officer positions (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Media Relations Officer, and SGO Liaison) starting on March 15th.
      • Duties of each officer can be found on the website (stkatessaa.wordpress.com) under About > Constitution > Article IV.
      • An officer position is a great way to gain and/or practice leadership skills, network with local LIS professionals, and collaborate with the other MLIS student organizations.
      • Nominations can be emailed to saa@stkate.edu.
    • Please take the ePortfolio Panel survey: https://docs.google.com/a/stkate.edu/forms/d/18v_76i0BkqaRPWZhqOnEBTUX30THusldRFXQBd9UDqM/viewform?edit_requested=true
    • Meeting on Monday, March 13 is going to be at the Minnesota Center for Book Arts by Jenny Shaw. Happy hour at Grumpy’s afterwards
    • March 27: job search panel of archivists and other professionals, one-on-one meetings afterwards
  • PLG – Lauren Cottrell
    • Next meeting March 15 @ 5:00pm in CdC 5 – may send out Doodle poll soon to see what times/dates work better for people
    • School Supplies Drive week of Monday, March 27 – April 9
      • Really need backpacks and calculators
      • Will also take notebooks, pencils, etc.
      • Bring to the MLIS lounge
      • May partner with Campus Ministries on that

Committees

  • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
  • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
  • Facilities – Kristell Benson
  • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
    • Finalizing advising pathways
    • Combining User Services & Literacy and Learning; Information Science & Digital Libraries
    • Revising Program Guiding Principles document to become our Value Statement
  • Program Meeting – Lauren Cottrell (backup: Deb Eschweiler)
    • Want students to sign up for student poster fair
    • Discussed website/accreditation
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
    • President coming next week
    • Had baked potato bar

MLIS Student Poster Fair

  • Monday, April 24 in the CdC 3rd floor ballroom (in conjunction with MLIS Summit)
  • All students invited to participate
  • First 10 people to sign up will get a free poster board
  • Groups or orgs can sign up, too
  • RSVP here by April 14: https://goo.gl/forms/AgcanIFmZDnTOxgT2

Mentorship Program

  • Met on March 4
  • Matches have been made: 13 mentors and 11 mentees

Reaching Out to Online MLIS Programs

Open Forum

What do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?

 

Questions? Comments?

Meeting Minutes 2.9.17

Welcome/Introductions

Mentorship Program

  • Student-to-student. 6 mentees and 9 mentors.
  • Looking for school library mentors.
  • Will match up in a couple weeks.

Elections

  • All leadership is turning over – will need new Chair, Treasurer, and Communications Officer come May 2017
    • February & March: recruiting/nominations
    • April: elections
    • May: training in
  • Will send out descriptions of positions with meeting follow-up.

Graduate Student Panel – Janis

  • Office of Graduate Admissions putting together a panel to speak to prospective students – need one student.
  • Thursday, March 9, 2017, 5:30pm @ Rauenhorst Ballroom
  • Why did you choose St. Kate’s? What makes the program unique?
  • Panel portion does not start until 6:30.
  • Janis will do it if no one else will.

Financials

  • Funding Approvals – 3 approved + pizza
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $6,810 → $6,222.87

Student Groups

  • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
    • Registration information just went out for ALA Annual in Chicago – June 22-26.
    • Cheap to go to if you are a student.
    • Next ALA meeting is March 14, 5:15 in CdC 18. – they will have pizza.
    • Chayse was chosen as the Student-to-Staff representative this year. Congrats!
  • SLA – Sarah Larsen
    • First meeting February 16 @ 5:15 in CdC 19
      • There will be pizza!
      • We will be discussing plans for the semester including details about the stipend for the SLA conference this summer.
  • SAA – Kristell Benson
    • MN Historical Society tour was really cool. Might become an annual event.
    • Completed annual report but nobody cares.
    • Bowling mixer was a huge success! Thank you! Lots of non-student LIS professionals.
      • Could use better directions on where to park next time.
      • Maybe re-think date next time? Right after semester starts instead of right before.
    • Doing an LIS resume/cover letter workshop in March (potentially the 27th). LIS professionals come and talk to you one-on-one about your resume, panel as well.
    • SAA looking at doing an ePortfolio panel. Send Kristell an email if you have ideas for what to include/talk about.
    • SAA meeting next Monday. 6:00pm in Library Room 123. Happy hour after!
  • PLG – Salie Olson
    • Positions of Secretary and Treasurer are open if anyone is interested.
    • Projects
      • School supply drive
      • Shelter supply drive
      • Working to get a Little Free Library on the MPLS campus
    • Next meeting is next Wednesday the 15th at 5 in CdC 5.

Committees

  • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
  • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
  • Facilities – Kristell Benson
  • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
    • Nobody has met yet.
  • Program – Need new rep (Sam has conflict with majority of meetings this semester)
    • Feb 13, March 13, April 10, May 8
    • 4-6pm in CdC 5 (ok to arrive late) – usually ends early
    • Janis can report on the meetings.
    • Tasha may be able to do March 13.
    • Lauren Cottrell – Program Meeting Representative. Deb can be backup.
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
    • Will meet next week

Internal Website

  • Will be sending out survey for assessment of new St. Kate’s LIS internal website.
  • Need 5 students for in-person usability testing
    • Monday, March 20 @ 6-7pm in CdC 5
  • Let us know if you want to test it out!

Reaching Out to Online MLIS Programs

  • Recently sent out email to directors of 28 online MLIS programs nationwide asking about the possibility of connecting with their students living locally in Minnesota.

SGO Board

  • Janis has asked us to evaluate the Student Organization Board in the MLIS Lounge
    • Location? – Sam’s thought: location is sort of hidden.
      • Could put material on one of the other boards in the MLIS Hallway
      • Could possibly move the board itself to out above the copier, with permission
    • Information?
    • More color, less color?
    • Consistent messaging?
    • Layout?
  • Expand the business card board? Have quotes/testimonials of alumni: where are they now?

Business Cards

  • Survey elicited 25 responses (19%) response rate: 68% yes, 16% no, 16% maybe
  • Do we want to provide business cards for St. Kate’s students or advertise we will reimburse students for business cards? Other options?
  • Put blurb up on website – link to printing office, can be reimbursed. Sam can draft something up. Link to branding guidelines.
  • If anyone is interested in helping design a business card template with Document Services, let us know!

Calendar

Took down SGO Calendar, going off MLIS Program Calendar from now on.

Open Forum

What do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?

 

Questions? Comments?

Meeting Minutes 12.8.16

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Our conference call-in option is now available on an as-requested basis. If you are unable to physically attend the meeting but want to listen in or add your two cents, email us at lissgo@gmail.com and ask how you can call in!

Welcome/Introductions

Graduate Reception

  • Monday, December 19, 2016 @ 6:30pm in CdC 401
    • Tasha & Allison (maybe) coming to help hand out cards and gifts
    • Talk about what SGO does
  • Hand around cards to sign
  • Anyone want to help get gifts from the bookstore? Need 7. Allison will.

Meetings Next Semester

  • When do we want to have them?
    • Wednesdays don’t work for Heidi
  • Same time, same place
  • Sam will reserve rooms

Financials

  • Funding Approvals – approved 2
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $7,355 → $6,810

Student Groups

  • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
    • No meeting this month
    • Chayse was awarded Student-to-Staff. Congratulations, Chayse!
  • SLA – Sarah Larsen & Katelyn Torell
    • Holiday Party this past Monday
    • Successful silent auction – raised $614 to send a student to SLA Conference
    • Information Professional Panel two Mondays ago, went well.
    • Last meeting of the semester is next Thursday at 5:15. There will be treats!
  • SAA – Kristell Benson
    • Bowling Event January 30th – St. Thomas bowling alley
      • Contact Heather Carroll for details
    • Movie screening on Monday night – screening Desk Set with Katherine Hepburn. There is a raffle too!
      • Visual Arts Building @ 7:30pm
    • Tentative job search panel March 27
    • Inside the Library at Downton Abbey
      • Wed, December 14 @ UMN, 4:30-6:30
    • Heather Carroll is doing a poster presentation at a rare books conference on the WARM journals cataloging project
  • PLG – Salie Olson

Committees

  • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
  • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
  • Facilities – Kristell Benson
  • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
  • Program – Samantha Stepp
    • Children In Class
      • Voted to remove no children in class wording from the handbook, will allow professors to decide how they want to deal with children in class on a case-by-case basis. Stress and promote Access & Success.
    • Accreditation
      • Waiting on a phone call from ALA to firm up various aspects of the plan and make it final.
      • Draft due at the end of July, final due at the end of September.
    • Marketing the Program
      • Enrollment is down 30-35% over the last 4-5 years.
      • Will get no help promoting the program from Admissions, Marketing, or Dean Joann Bangs
      • Mystery shopper experience garnered no response
      • Tony is working hard on instituting a marketing plan for the program using Google Ads and LinkedIn. Stronger presence at grad fairs. Undergraduate program.
      • Need to improve our website. Administration has said we can put whatever we want up there.
    • The Good News
      • Program retention rate is very good – 93%
      • Classes with six or more students enrolled for Spring 2017 will likely go
      • Two courses will be offered during the daytime in the coming year, with one mostly online
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
    • Short meeting, nobody there, nothing.

Open Forum

What do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?

Mentoring Program

Older students mentor new students – Heather Carroll’s idea. Match incoming students with more advanced students on a similar track. Something to announce at orientation?

Business Cards

  • Edwin wondering if printing business cards for all students was something SGO wanted to take on, is working on a template.
  • Will send out a survey to assess interest.
  • Students can always submit individual reimbursement requests for business card printing costs, as it can be counted as professional development.

Meeting Minutes 11.10.16

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Our conference call-in option is now available on an as-requested basis. If you are unable to physically attend the meeting but want to listen in or add your two cents, email us at lissgo@gmail.com and ask how you can call in!

Welcome/Introductions

Graduate Reception

  • Monday, December 19, 2016 @ 6:30pm, room TBA but usually in CdC 401
    • Tasha & Allison (maybe)
  • Can anyone come to help hand out cards?
  • Sam will prepare cards and hand around at next SGO meeting for everyone to sign

Financials

  • Funding Approvals – approved 5
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $6,436.15 → $7,355 (got our allocation)
  • Presented the funding information session to Prof. Konhe Yoon’s intro class on October 25th

Student Groups

  • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
    • Had meeting yesterday.
    • Talking about partnerships with other “letter groups”
    • Bowling thing! In May.
    • Panel in the spring
    • Information going out about the Student-to-Staff Program soon
  • SLA – Sarah Larsen & Katelyn Torell
    • Meeting next Thursday – move time slightly earlier due to town hall
    • Information Professionals Panel
      • Nov. 28 @ 6:00pm
      • 5 panelists
    • SLA-MN Holiday Party
      • Dec. 5 @ 5:30pm, HGA Architects & Engineers
      • Donate to the silent auction! Contact selarsen2@stkate.edu to donate
      • All MLIS students are welcome to attend! Cost is $20 but there are sponsorships.
      • Great food and booze!
  • SAA – Kristell Benson
    • No meeting since last SGO meeting
    • MHS Tour got cancelled, trying to figure out a future time, probably end of november – email Sara Butterfass for info
    • Figuring out details for bowling extravaganza in spring
  • PLG – Salie Olson
    • Plg is still working on a speaker. We’re hoping to get shirts. Also looking at possibility of using another small event at the east side freedom library, but very preliminary at this point. David Lesniaski is still working on fixing little free library. Jk free library is BACK!
    • Sal Olson will be new PLG chair come Feb

Committees

  • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
    • Adjunct Dinner was on Mon, November 7
  • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
    • Children in class – suggested taking the rule of no children in class out of the MLIS handbook as it is covered elsewhere in university policy
    • Student travel – how to ensure students will be covered
    • Fall orientation results & pre-registration survey
    • Student Town Halls happening Nov. 15 and 17, prob CdC 5
      • Tasha will attend Nov. 15, can anyone else go on the 17th? Deb and Sarah.
      • Brief meeting for students to gather and talk about issues with the program
      • 5:30pm – 6:00pm
    • Student repository – universal repository for past student work, working with Toyin to create
    • Can read the full minutes here.
  • Facilities – Kristell Benson
    • Hasn’t met yet.
  • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
    • Course enrollment minimum is changing to 12 in spring. But always been 12 and we’ve been allowed to have 8.
    • No Internet Fundamentals course for spring? Put it on FB.
  • Program – Samantha Stepp
    • Accreditation
      • Received list of people on external review panel this past Monday.
      • Updated self-review schedule
    • Might offer daytime classes in the future – 84% of 86 respondents in a survey expressed interest in them. Might also try out online courses – test drive during the summer.
    • Deb Grealy is retiring – leaving Jan 2018. Looking for a faculty member to step up and come Program Director (which is different from a Dean).
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
    • Funding proposal for food insecurity – Access & Success. Putting out snacks and bagged meals for students. Pilot program – chose to fund the pilot ($1,000) so will come back with data on how much it costs, etc.

Open Forum

What do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?

Portfolio

From Prof. Joyce Yukawa’s response:

  • Any student can use any platform they like for the portfolio.
  • Students should refer to the rubric at the end of the new guidelines regarding any specific questions they have about how the portfolio will be evaluated.
  • The faculty plan to create a video explaining in more detail how to do the portfolio, including artifact selection and reflection.
  • Portfolio page on new internal website will link to good examples of past portfolios.

Reaching out to online MLIS students

Formulated email message, created list of online MLIS program directors to send it to. Will send it out mid-January.

Business Cards

Demand for business cards? I think the copy office prints them by department. Could ask Career Services about it. Janis will email printing office and ask about it.

Questions? Comments?

Meeting Minutes 9.15.16

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Welcome/Introductions

Financials

  • Funding Approvals
    • Zetta Elliot funding is for a $600 honorarium, not expenses. Re-approve?
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $8,080.03 → $8,326.15 (before tonight’s funding approvals)
    • Allison reach to students and get receipts
  • Student Reimbursement Changes
    • At our summer meeting, considered the possibility of a per-semester funding cap of semester stipend + $1,000. It would be first come, first serve for students seeking funding.
    • For future officers, will suggest a cushion of $2,000 and only spending up to the amount of that semester’s stipend.
    • Sounds reasonable
  • SGO: Putting the “Fun” In “Funding” (Funding Information Session)
    • Monday, October 17, 6:00pm in CdC 20
    • We’ll be covering how to apply for funding, how much you can get, and what you can do with it, as well as where our money comes from, how much we get, and how it gets distributed.
    • There will be $nack$! You should come!

Reaching Out To Online MLIS Students

  • Tasha received one email from online student about interest in getting involved in our program/our professional development activities.
  • Brainstormed ideas as to how to reach out to online MLIS students. Tasha will ask around at MLA.
  • Listervs for online MLIS programs?
  • Regs prevent us from having online students be members of our student orgs? – Check in with student group coordinator for ALA
  • Restrict to online students who live in MN?
  • Reach out to online student program heads and let them know about us, reach out that way. Get the newsletter. Stuff like SAA Archivist’s panel. Include literature about benefit to students – professional development, networking.
  • MCTC Library Tech program.

Student Groups

  • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
    • Just had first meeting and had introductions
    • Laid out why ALA is important, importance of involvement at national, local and student chapter level
    • Joining MLA is super cheap, bundle with ALA, cheaper entrance to conference coming up in Sept
  • SLA – Sarah Larsen & Katelyn Torell
    • Had first meeting last week, talked about plans for the year
    • Lots of interest in a panel and a tour
    • Interest in Historical Society Library, working with SAA on that; possible music library
  • SAA – Kristell Benson
    • Had first meeting last week (actually met throughout summer)
    • New WordPress site! includes meeting minutes
    • Archives panel on October 10, 6-8pm in Whitby 121
      • Four different archives professionals. Open to everyone – applies to everyone
      • Last one was great
    • Is there onsite instruction for archives projects you do? Digitizing the WARM Journal right now. Cataloging right now.
    • Have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, a listserv, and a blog. Lots of ways to get involved!
    • Classic film-showing party at the end of the semester
    • October 5th is Ask An Archivist Day! #AskAnArchivist
    • Toured the St. Kate’s Archives as a welcome-back event. Saw a WWII sanitation toilet. Kristell: “pretty gross.” Hoping to do a similar event at the beginning of every year, get new students involved.
  • PLG – Salie Olson
    • Still getting things started, in coordination with Prof. Lesniaski.
    • Little Free Libraries are doing well!
    • Extra stack of books in CdC 17.

Committees

  • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
  • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
  • Facilities – Kristell Benson
  • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
    • Curriculum survey sent out to stakeholders – receiving feedback on new SLOs. Take it!
    • Response rate has been about 33%
    • Faculty will meet 4x throughout semester to discuss and discuss changes
    • Will also discuss possibility of transferring credits during program
  • Program – Samantha Stepp
    • Introduced new employees – Toyin and Janis
    • Technology agenda items from Toyin – relevant to students was the piece about the Macbook Pros in CdC 5: anyone who logs in is set up as an Administrator, which is a problem because IT wants different levels of security for students and professors, don’t want students going in and changing settings on the machines. However, some professors want students to be able to download programs during class (e.g., Makerspaces). Ended in professor-favored stalemate.
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer

Open Forum

What do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?

Ebooks – picked up card with code. $50 through St. Kate’s Bookstore but only $28 through publisher. Third party between bookstore and publisher. Library open-source texts a solution?

7160 Leadership

Brainstorm ways to reach out to professors and let you know.

Questions? Comments?

Meeting Minutes 5.3.16

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

  • Welcome/Introductions
  • Funding Approvals
    • Should check wording of “professional development”
    • Dr. Dahlen’s request approved
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $10,284.41 → $8,080.03
    • Give back to GSAB general fund? Will give $250.
  • Elections & meetings next fall
    • No new nominations, so Chair, Treasurer and Communications Officer will remain the same for the 2016-2017 school year (all have said they will do again).
    • Meetings next fall – SGO board will gather sometime in August to plan, and Heidi.
    • Next year, start a month earlier for elections (March).
  • Graduate reception
    • Monday, May 16 @ 6:30 – 8:00pm in CdC 401
    • All are encouraged to attend! SGO members needed to help hand out $wag.
    • We will be handing out cards (going around right now) stuffed with pins and gift mugs as well. Planning to purchase mugs with graduate funds this Saturday.
  • Student reimbursement
    • Were considering a tiered system of in-state, out of state and international $$ limits last time. Allison, come up with anything for amounts?
      • Keep the current system for now, will bring it up again next year
    • Funding info sesh next fall? Will meet sometime over the summer to plan that.
  • Reaching out to online MLIS students – Tasha
    • Reach out to online programs and put messages in newsletter
    • Something through MLA? Look at conference information.
    • Put ad on MLA website for St. Kate’s ALA?
  • Student groups update
    • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
      • Informal get-together May 15 @ 3:00pm at the Sea Salt Eatery. Open to everyone!
      • New Chair is Chayse!
    • SLA – Samantha Stepp
      • Information Professional Panel last Saturday. Went well! Recorded so hopefully can be shown to intro and special libraries classes.
      • Got one applicant that I know of for scholarship. Will be perhaps not tying the funds to conference attendance next year.
      • Still looking for a President and Vice President, so email stkatesla@gmail.com if interested!
    • SAA – Kristell Benson
      • Costume party on the 14th (details on the MLIS blog and in the newsletter).
    • PLG – Edwin Schenk
  • Committee updates (no updates)
    • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
    • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
    • Facilities – Kristell Benson
    • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
      • Student Curriculum Committee met with faculty. Notes from that meeting were emailed out to all students. Hopefully it got some things cleared up.
    • Program – Allison Current
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
  • Open forum – what do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?
  • Questions? Comments?

Meeting Minutes 4/6/16

SGO Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

  • Welcome/Introductions
  • Funding Approvals
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $9,826.41 → $10,284.41
  • Student reimbursement
    • $600 over three years instead of just $200 per year? Discuss.
    • Keep at $200 per year – simpler, more financially viable and encourages students to spread out their professional development activities.
    • Decided to raise amounts per year instead, have 3-tier system of in-state, out of state and international $$ limits.
    • Allison will research exact amounts and suggest at next meeting.
  • Elections
    • Chair, Treasurer and Communications Officer positions open for the 2016-2017 school year.
    • Schedule
      • April 5 – 19: Nominations
      • April 19 – May 2: Voting
      • May 3: Winners announced
    • Students are encouraged to nominate themselves! Send an email to lissgo@gmail.com with your nomination. Voting will take place via an emailed survey to all students.
  • Student Curriculum Committee met March 19th
    • Minutes here.
    • Came up with various issues, solutions and questions we have regarding the curriculum in this program.
    • Central conflict: not enough students to conduct a variety of classes, but need a variety of classes to attract students.
    • Will meet with Faculty Committee on April 18 at 4:00pm in CdC 5 to discuss possible solutions/come to an agreement.
    • Meeting comments:
      • What are other LIS programs doing? Are they having similar problems?
      • Combine similar classes?
  • Course enrollment survey
    • Meant to narrow down course offerings to what students actually intent to take, warn students in advance of possibly cancelling courses.
  • Student groups update
    • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
      • Elections for Chair, Secretary open now. Email tcmclachlan@stkate.edu with your nominations (including yourself).
      • Panel event coming up: LIS Services For Adoptive Families – Friday, April 15th @ 7:00pm in Mendel 106
      • Last formal meeting of the semester on April 19th in CdC 5 @ 5:00pm
      • Informal meeting at Sea Salt Eatery in May yummmmm
    • SLA – Samantha Stepp
      • Got additional funds for SLA Scholarship, hopefully somebody applies
      • Elections too
      • Information Professional Panel 2: April 30th @ 12:00pm
    • SAA – Kristell Benson
      • “Turn a New Page” April 4 (last night). Had professionals look at resumes and cover letters and give good advice.
      • Cataloging pizza party was fun and interesting
      • Monday, April 11 is next meeting, “Preserve Your Sanity” Happy Hour is at 7:00pm at Tiffany’s on Ford Pkwy
    • PLG – Edwin Schenk
      • Re: Cataloging and Pizza Party, got ~75 books cataloged
      • Will need positions filled for next year
  • Committee updates (no updates)
    • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
    • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
    • Facilities – Kristell Benson
    • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
      • See Student curriculum committee stuff
    • Program – Allison Current
      • Working on the website, nobody seems to have an answer. Lots of documents lost when went to the new website.
      • Doing interviews for both Office Manager and IT Support Specialist
      • Tuition went up to $886 – had asked for a long time not to raise it and succeeded
      • 8-10 summer admits!
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
    • No meeting in March
  • Open forum – what do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?
  • Questions? Comments?

 

Meeting Minutes 3/1/16

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Conference call-in option: 641-715-3580 with access code 358-995

  • Welcome/Introductions
  • Funding Approvals
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $10,141.41 → $9,826.41
  • Student Curriculum Committee created – will meet March 19th to discuss curriculum issues and formulate some stances.
    • Samantha Stepp
    • Liz Bastyr
    • Deb Eschweiler
    • Kristin Hall
    • Heather Carroll
    • Amber Yares
  • New Student Facebook and LinkedIn Groups
    • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/stkatecirculation/
      • 81 members right now
    • LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8478402
      • 14 members right now
    • Student Kristin Hall has created these wonderful forums for St. Kate MLIS students to communicate. Check them out! They are both closed groups to allow student discussion of whatever topics we wish away from the prying eyes of faculty or administration. Simply request to be added and you will!
    • Good for job postings, chatting about program stuff and general library stuff. Professional networking. Hoping to expand. The more people we have, the better networking opportunities we’ll have.
  • Student showcase at the MLIS Summit
    • Kristin Hall (knhall@stkate.edu) is organizing and is looking for help! Email her if you’re interested or if you have some work you’d like to put on display.
    • Mini-conference for students looking to show off their work to LIS professionals and St. Kate’s alums in the Twin Cities.
    • Provides peer-review experience, presentation experience, professional networking experience for students who can’t make it to conferences.
  • Still looking for a student to sit on the IT Coordinator hiring committee.
  • Student groups update
    • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
      • Young Adult author panel at the Highland Park Library Saturday, March 12th at 1:00pm. Donuts!!!!!1
      • Next meeting is March 15th @ 5:00 in CdC 5
    • SLA – Samantha Stepp
    • SAA – Kristell Benson
      • Meeting on Monday
      • Opportunity to tour Target Archives Friday March 11th at noon. If interested, email Jessica Faucher or Kristell.
    • PLG – Edwin Schenk
      • Party at East Side Freedom Library on the 21st. Pizza and pop!
  • Committee updates (no updates)
    • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
    • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
    • Facilities – Kristell Benson
    • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
    • Program – Allison Current
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
    • Talked about gift shop/bookstore and cafeteria concerns (hours)
    • Alumnae/i relations did a presentation – events, workshops, etc.
  • Open forum – what do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?
  • Tasha was looking through the old ALA Google Drive and there was nothing on ALA’s inclusion in the summit.
  • Questions? Comments?