Meeting Minutes 4.2.2019

SGO Agenda — Tuesday, April 2, 2019

 

Welcome/Introductions – 5 minutes

Open Forum – 1-10 minutes

  • What do you want to talk about?

Financials – 3 minutes

  • Treasury update -Rachel
    • Current balance —>  2943.24

Student Groups : updates, events, requests – 5-10 minutes

  • ALA – Laura Gingras
  • SLA – Janis Shearer
    • Happy Hour on 4/10 @5pm at the Happy Gnome (everyone welcome)
    • Elections at 4/11 meeting
    • Special Library Tour in planning process
  • SAA – Dan Sustacek
    • Planning tours, community activity
    • Spring Panel
  • PLG – Sierra Pandy

Topics – 5-10 minutes

  • Graduation reception (anonymous donation will cover expenses)
    • Sat. May 22nd — 10:30am – noon
      • Room has been reserved
  • Nominations for Event Coordinator position
  • SGO constitution update
    • Still in progress
  • Annual Officer Election
    • Nomination form & election timeline
  • Reopening reimbursements?
    • Table this for discussion at May meeting

Committees Reports – 5 minutes

    • Standard I “Systematic Planning” – OPEN (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lim)
      • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
    • Standard II “Curriculum”– Kimberly Nicholson (Faculty Chair is Dr. Yukawa)
    • Standard III “Faculty” – OPEN (Faculty Chair is Dr. Dahlen)
      • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
    • Standard IV “Students” – OPEN (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lesniaski)
      • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
    • Standard  V “Facilities” – Mary Pukenis (Faculty Chair is Dr. Ross)
      • Faculty changes upcoming
        • Only 15 – 16 courses offered per semester due to faculty on sabbatical for coming year
      • Meeting next Monday re: campus integration / library changes
      • Bathroom changes requested – may need to go through GSAB to get response from facilities
    • Future state of these committees? Response from faculty chairs?

 

 

 

 

Questions? Comments?

  • Campus Integration/Library Changes
    • Student meeting next Monday, April 8 – Derham room 409, 5:30pm
      All are welcome to attend!

      • MLIS Faculty also wrote letter addressing concerns
Advertisements

Meeting Minutes 3.5.2019

SGO Meeting Minutes — Tuesday, March 5, 2019

 

Welcome/Introductions – 5 minutes

Open Forum – 1-10 minutes

  • What do you want to talk about?

Financials – 3 minutes

  • Treasury update -Rachel
    • Current balance —>  3121.58
    • Spring Semester reimbursements:
      • Temporarily close reimbursements after honoring current requests; effective today through end of Spring Semester
        • Until we know if we are getting Spring allocation, reimbursements are suspended
      • Live vote: unanimous agreement with proposal above
  • GSAB distribution of funds
    • Proposed changes will be discussed at next GSAB meeting in April
    • Comments? Concerns? Send them to lissgo@gmail.com – we will share with GSAB
  • Fundraising ideas
    • Create a store with MLIS-branded gear to raise funds?
      • MarComm would need to approve branding
      • Who would be buying? Students, alum, community?
        Selling? → SGO would run, funding to be shared between groups
    • Summer fundraising events?
    • Partner with local libraries for fundraising events? Professional org partnerships?
    • Potentially disband SGO, so that the other student groups could get more out of the fundraising??
      • Student group reps are already attending GSAB and have a presence
      • SGO was created to have student voice in the program -> would need conversations with all student groups to ensure that student body still has voice in the program
        • Would need conversations to avoid separation of student body
      • Disbanding SGO may need to be voted on by MLIS student body

Student Groups : updates, events, requests – 5-10 minutes

  • ALA – Laura Gingras
    • No rep in attendance
  • SLA – Janis Shearer
    • Met on Feb 21st – planning launch of travel stipend
      • Stipend essay will be due on April 1st
    • Started adding special library positions to blog – check it out
  • SAA – Dan Sustacek
    • Meeting is next week
    • Visit to Target Archives on March 11th, 3:30pm
      (North Loop MPLS, parking is limited, contact SAA for carpool options)
  • PLG – Sierra Pandy
    • Met on Feb 25th
    • Coordinated program with library related to the “We Are All Criminals”
    • Planning another book-packing event

Topics – 5-10 minutes

  • Graduation reception (anonymous donation will cover expenses)
    • Thurs May 23rd? Other dates?
    • Sat May 18th (no classes)
    • Check dates with faculty, if invited
  • E-Portfolio workgroup
    • Interest? Dates?
    • Reserve space with computer accessibility – CdC 19, perhaps?
    • March 30th
  • Used Textbooks Bookshelf in MLIS Lounge
  • Nominations for Event Coordinator position
  • SGO constitution update

Committees Reports – 5 minutes

  • Standard I “Systematic Planning” – OPEN (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lim)
    • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
  • Standard II “Curriculum”– Kimberly Nicholson (Faculty Chair is Dr. Yukawa)
  • Standard III “Faculty” – OPEN (Faculty Chair is Dr. Dahlen)
    • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
  • Standard IV “Students” – OPEN (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lesniaski)
    • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
  • Standard  V “Facilities” – Mary Pukenis (Faculty Chair is Dr. Ross)
    • No meetings yet for academic year 2018-2019
  • TO DO: contact faculty chairs to determine future state of these committees
    Next program meeting is March 18th at 4pm – can bring up questions there

Questions? Comments?

Attendees:
Kait, Aubrey, Rachel, Janis, Laura, Kallie, Kim, Deb, Deb T.

Meeting Minutes 2.19.2019

SGO Meeting Minutes Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Welcome/Introductions – 5 minutes

Open Forum – 1-10 minutes

  • What do you want to talk about?
    • Graduation gown closet
      • Start a google sheet of people who are willing to donate and sell 

Financials – 3 minutes

  • Treasury update -Rachel
    • Current balance —>  3121.58

SGO Constitution Revision Committee Update – 2 minutes

  • Looking for new members to revise the constitution in Spring 2019– let Kait know if you’re interested. 

Student Groups : updates, events, requests – 5-10 minutes

  • ALA – Laura Gingras
  • SLA – Jennifer Riestenberg
  • SAA – Meg Walter
  • PLG – Sierra Pandy

Topics – 5-10 minutes

  • LIS Mixer
    • Mixer went well
    • Still awaiting invoice from St. Thomas
  • Future of SGO and funding
    • GSAB funding structure is changing. Existing graduate student groups will no longer receive semester funding allotments. Only newly created student groups will receive funding allotments, as a one-time only payment.
      • Current SGO reimbursement model overhaul required to meet this change
      • Fundraising options to keep SGO running?
        • Coordinate with other student groups; perhaps create program-wide fundraising so all student groups get equal share of raised funds?
      • SGO will keep student body informed of any updates we receive 

Committees Reports – 5 minutes

    • Standard I “Systematic Planning” – Edward Malnar (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lim)
      • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
    • Standard II “Curriculum”–Diane Lochner (Faculty Chair is Dr. Yukawa)
      • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
      • Kimberly Nicholson will be new student rep – unanimous live vote approved
    • Standard III “Faculty” – Lindsey Whipple (Faculty Chair is Dr. Dahlen)
      • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
    • Standard IV “Students” – Trish Vaillancourt (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lesniaski)
      • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
    • Standard  V “Facilities” – Mary Pukenis (Faculty Chair is Dr. Ross)
      • No meetings yet for academic year 2018-2019

Questions? Comments?

  • Minnesota Library Legislative Day — Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019
    Registration available online, can tweet to show support

Meeting Minutes 12.11.2018

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Thank you to Dr. Heidi Hammond!

  • Thank you for serving as SGO’s Faculty Advisor since 2011!

Welcome/Introductions

Congratulations to December 2018 Graduates!

  • Sign cards that are circulating

Open Forum

  • What do you want to talk about?

Financials

  • Treasury update -Trish
    • Current balance —>  $883.45 (approximate)

SGO Leadership for Spring 2019

  • Communications Officer – Aubrey Mullenix
  • Treasurer – Rachel Farnham

SGO Constitution Revision Committee Update

  • Looking for new members to revise the constitution in Spring 2019– let Kait know if you’re interested.
    • Kait will send an email to students inviting anyone to participate

Student Groups : updates, events, requests

  • ALA – Laura Gingras
    • Did not meet since last SGO meeting
    • Planning to meet in January 2019
  • SLA – Janis Shearer
    • Gathering donations for Holiday Party & Silent Auction on 1/28/2019
      • RSVP via this link
    • Planning library tour & happy hour for spring 2019
    • Will continue to meet on Thursdays in spring 2019
  • SAA – Trish Vaillancourt
    • End of Semester Trivia Night will be 12/18/18
      • At Joe & Stan’s –> 949 – 7th St W at 8pm
    • Tour went well
  • PLG – Salie Olson
    • Had last meeting & potluck on 12/4/18
    • Planning to meeting in January 2019
    • Planning a book packing event & panel events for spring 2019
    • Planning a “de-escalation in the library” event/training

Topics

  • Graduate Reception Update
    • RSVP to SGO if you haven’t!
    • Janis & Kallie will draft a program
  • LIS Mixer Update – Kallie Schell, Events Coordinator
    • Kallie cannot attend – who can help out that night?
    • Looking for 2 volunteers to help set-up 15 minutes early on 2/11 @ 515pm
      • Salie O. & Kait W. have volunteered!
    • There will be a raffle for student membership to SLA (a $50 value)
  • Program meeting
    • Recent survey
      • Graduates in 2017 – salaries have decreased (from $62k to $46k) while placements have increased to 76% from 70%

Committees Reports

  • Kait will send out an email about openings for student volunteers
  • Standard I “Systematic Planning” – Edward Malnar (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lim)
    • Edward contacted SGO by email – there is no new news
    • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
  • Standard II “Curriculum”–Diane Lochner (Faculty Chair is Dr. Yukawa)
    • No update
    • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
  • Standard III “Faculty” – Lindsey Whipple (Faculty Chair is Dr. Dahlen)
    • There will be no meetings during Fall 2018.
  • Standard IV “Students” – Trish Vaillancourt (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lesniaski)
    • No update
    • Need a new student representative in Spring 2019
  • Standard  V “Facilities” – Mary Pukenis (Faculty Chair is Dr. Ross)
    • No update

Questions? Comments?

  • St. Kate’s Minneapolis Campus Library is hiring! See Handshake

 

Attendees: Kallie,  Laura,  Salie,  Deb E.,  Rachel,  Aubrey,  Janis,  Trish & Kait

Meeting Minutes 11.13.2018

Welcome/Introductions

Congratulations to December 2018 Graduates!

  • Sign cards that are circulating

Open Forum

  • What do you want to talk about?

Financials

  • Treasury update -Trish
    • Current balance —>  $883.45 (this is good – don’t panic)
  • Putting the cap on reimbursements this semester. Email going out tonight
  • We are doing what we should be doing for spending money. The surplus SGO had for many years is dwindling, as it should be. Our guidelines from GSAB are to spend the money we are allotted in the year we are given it. We are closer than ever to the point where what we get from GSAB each fall/spring is all we will have to work with. Changes will need to be made to how SGO reimburses, what SGO reimburses for, and how much is reimbursed.
  • Trish will give Janis (Communications Officer) wording to update the SGO Blog, if any

SGO Leadership Nominee Announcement for Spring 2019

  • Communications Officer
    • Aubrey Mullenix
  • Treasurer
    • Rachel Farnham
    • Aubrey Mullenix
  • Nominees are drafting personal statements
  • Online voting will begin shortly!

SGO Constitution Revision Committee Update

  • No updates
  • View our current Constitution draft here

Student Groups : updates, events, requests

  • ALA – Laura Gingras
    • T-shirt fundraiser was a medium success, Laura will distribue shirts soon
      • For future fundraisers, keep track of all OKs between you & the University beforehand, have a small selection of items for sale, CustomInk was great to work with
    • Marketing & Communications is creating a checklist for artwork approval
    • Next meeting, Tuesday, 20 November at 5pm in CdC 17
  • SLA – Janis Shearer
    • Next meeting will be Thursday, December 13 at 5:15pm in CdC 20
    • Planning for the SLA-MN Holiday Party is in full-swing! All students are invited to attend the event on Monday, January 28, 2019 at JJHill Library
    • End of semester Happy Hour with students & SLA Professionals, TBD
  • SAA – Cydnee Peterson
    • Touring MN Masonic Heritage Center, date & time TBD
    • New Professionals Brown Bag Lunch with SAA!
      • When: 12.1.2018
      • Time & place: 12-1:30 pm in CdC 20
      • Everyone is welcome!
    • End of Semester Pub Trivia, date & time TBD
  • PLG – Sally Olson
    • Women’s Prison Book packing went well
    • 12.4.2018: Next meeting with potluck w/white elephant gift, CdC 17
    • Everyone is welcome!
    • Looking to tour Adaptive Technology Center in Mpls

Topics

  • LIS Mixer Update – Kallie Schell, Events Coordinator
    • What? A networking opp with community info pros, enjoy apps & cash bar!
    • When? February 11, 2019 in the evening
    • Where? @ University of St. Thomas Bowling Alley
    • Cost? $0 for students, financial donations requested from LIS orgs
    • Donations to run the event are coming in
      • $100 confirmed with SAA student group
      • $100 confirmed with SLA student group
      • $100 confirmed with PLG student group
      • $100 confirmed with SLA-MN & $50 student membership
      • Waiting to hear back from a few other groups

Committees Reports

  • Standard I “Systematic Planning” – Edward Malnar (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lim)
    • No updates
    • A new rep will be needed for spring 2019, any interest?
  • Standard II “Curriculum”–Diane Lochner (Faculty Chair is Dr. Yukawa)
    • No updates
    • A new rep will be needed for spring 2019, any interest?
  • Standard III “Faculty” – Lindsey Whipple (Faculty Chair is Dr. Dahlen)
    • There will be no meetings during Fall 2018.
  • Standard IV “Students” – Trish Vaillancourt (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lesniaski)
    • No updates
    • A new rep will be needed for spring 2019, any interest?
  • Standard  V “Facilities” – Mary Pukenis (Faculty Chair is Dr. Ross)
    • No updates

Questions? Comments?

Attendees:

Rachel, Aubrey, Laura, Cydnee, Kallie, Deb T., Trish, Janis & Kait W.

Meeting Minutes 10.9.2018

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Welcome/Introductions

  • WELCOME! We have a new advisor, Deb Torres – Assistant Program Director

Open Forum

  • What do you want to talk about?
    • Update: Robe Library – SGO is discouraged by the University to create this

Financials

  • Treasury update -Trish
    • Current balance —> between $2-4,000 on hand
    • We have funded 8 items since last meeting
    • Still working through budget with Samantha Johnson (Student Activities)
    • The “SGO Academic Year” is 1st day of fall to last day of spring semesters
    • Trish will suggest that SGO does not accept summer reimbursements to future Treasurer & that students submit in fall or spring only. There are many issues that can be avoided by doing this.

One Read for Racial Justice – 5 minutes

  • Guests Amy Mars & Anne Beschnett
    • MLIS students are invited to participate: Dream Country by Shannon Gibney
    • Visit the library’s website to learn how to participate, contact Amy w/?s

SGO Constitution Revision Committee Update

  • Not discussed today, committee not present

Student Groups : updates, events, requests

  • ALA – Rep was not present
    • Their fundraiser has begun! Use this link to support their initiatives!
    • Next meeting Tues. Oct 16 @ 5pm
  • SLA – Janis Shearer
    • Next meeting Thurs. Oct 11 @ 515pm
    • Info Pro Panel scheduled for Mon. Oct 29 @ 6pm
  • SAA – Ann Arntson
    • Next meeting Mon. Nov 12 @ 530pm
    • Tour Goodhue County Historical Society on Sat. Oct. 27, time TBD
    • Brown Bag New Pro Panel on Dec. 1
    • Resume Speed Dating & Freemason Lodge Tour being planned
  • PLG – Kait Wolfe
    • Processing book donations @ Boneshaker Books on Sat. Nov. 3 from 9am-noon
    • Next meeting is TBD

Topics

  • None

Committees Reports

  • Standard I “Systematic Planning” – Edward Malnar (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lim)
    • No report, rep not present
  • Standard II “Curriculum”–Diane Lochner (Faculty Chair is Dr. Yukawa)
    • No report, rep not present
  • Standard III “Faculty” – Lindsey Whipple (Faculty Chair is Dr. Dahlen)
    • There will be no meetings during Fall 2018.
  • Standard IV “Students” – Trish Vaillancourt (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lesniaski)
    • No report
  • Standard  V “Facilities” – Mary Pukenis (Faculty Chair is Dr. Ross)
    • No report, rep not present

Upcoming events

  • Info Session for LIS 7600: International Librarianship class – October 16, 2018
    • Will travel to Athens, Greece in 2019
    • If you cannot attend, contact Dr. Lesniaski (dalesniaski@stkate.edu) or Dr. Wagner (mmwagner@stkate.edu) to hear about what was covered
  • TCART (Twin Cities Archives Round Table) Symposium – November 5, 2018
    • @ the Carondelet Center
  • Upper Midwest Digital Collections Conference – November 8-9, 2018
    • Here at St. Kate’s!
  • St. Kate’s Bowling Mixer – February 11, 2019
    • @ University of St. Thomas Bowling Alley
    • Network with community info pros, enjoy apps & cash bar!
  • WAAL (WI Association of Academic Librarians) Annual Conference – in 2019
    • Has sent a call for proposals – Rachel will fwd their info to imdept to share with students
    • In Eau Claire, WI

Questions? Comments?

Attendees: Janis, Anne, Trish, Sarah, Deb T., Amy, Rachel & Aubrey

Meeting Minutes 9.11.2018

Welcome/Introductions

Open Forum

  • What do you want to talk about?
    • Will there be a social event in spring 2019? – Yes, one is planned
    • Graduation robe idea that came up on Facebook
      • We are thinking about creating a lending library of robes & hoods
      • $54.99 is current bookstore price to purchase robe, hat & hood
      • Lindsey will ask Deb/Curt in Student Center for more information
    • Graduate reception
      • The LIS program is unable to fund this year’s event
      • Ideas about this?
        • We want to keep a gathering of some sort in place
        • We will determine dates/times at future
        • There’s a ceiling to how much SGO will fund

Financials

  • Treasury update -Trish
    • Current balance → $3900
      • Graduate Student Advisory Board (GSAB) records show we have $5000.
      • Trish will connect with Student Org. to iron this out

SGO Constitution Revision Committee Update

  • Revisions were made during 2017-18
  • The Revision Committee will connect with Samantha Johnson

Student Groups : updates, events, requests

  • ALA – Laura Gingras
    • Next meeting Tues. Sept. 18 @ 5pm in CdC 17
  • SLA – Janis Shearer
    • Next meeting Thurs. Sept. 13 @ 515pm in CdC 20
  • SAA – Ann Arntson
    • Events are planned for fall 2018!
    • There will be a button making event on Tues. Sept. 18 @ 515pm
    • No meeting in October, instead they will have an Archives 101 Event
  • PLG – Sierra Pandy
    • Event: Prisons & Libraries @ 6pm in CdC 020 on Mon. Sept. 17
    • Next meeting, Tues. Sept. 25 @ 5pm in CdC 5

Topics

  • Cloud Library film – update from Esther Jones and/or GSAB rep(s)
    • Planners for this event are seeking funds from SGO – but were not present to answer questions
    • SGO Officers will gather more information from Esther to assist in making a decision about providing financial assistance from SGO

Committees Reports

  • Standard I “Systematic Planning” – Edward Malnar (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lim)
    • Edward did not attend this SGO meeting to give an update.
  • Standard II “Curriculum”–Diane Lochner (Faculty Chair is Dr. Yukawa)
    • Diane did not attend this SGO meeting to give an update.
  • Standard III “Faculty” – Lindsey Whipple (Faculty Chair is Dr. Dahlen)
    • There will be no meetings during Fall 2018
    • Lindsey is open to working with another committee this semester
  • Standard IV “Students” – Trish Vaillancourt (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lesniaski)
    • Email SGO if you’re interested in working on orientation!
  • Standard  V “Facilities” – Mary Pukenis (Faculty Chair is Dr. Ross)
    • Future meeting is tbd

Questions? Comments?

Attendees:

Kait, Janis, Trish, Ellie, Lindsey, Deb T., Sierra, Alexis, Rachel, Aubrey, Heidi, Mary, Ann, Patrick, Kallie & Deb E.