Meeting Minutes 5.2.2018

Welcome/Introductions – 5 minutes

SGO Leadership Ballot Results – 3 minutes

  • Chair – Kait Wolfe
  • Communications Officer – Janis Shearer
  • Treasurer – Trish Vaillancourt
  • Event Coordinator – Kallie Schell
  • Peer-to-Peer Mentoring Coordinators – Cydnee Petersen, Ann Arntson

Open Forum – 1-10 minutes

  • What do you want to talk about?
    • Consider participating in the YWCA Triathlon

Financials – 3 minutes

  • Treasury update -Trish
    • Current balance —–> $3,145.16
      • Rachel Canoun $200 for AIIP
      • Meg Brown $175 for ALA
      • Chelsea Bartlett $185 for ALA
    • We hope to receive our spring 2018 allocation soon
    • We have $208.40 added to our budget from funds not transferring to the LIS program in the past year. The LIS program will gift mugs to SGO for graduates

SGO Constitution Revision Committee Update – 2 minutes

  • Committee is looking for an appropriate Rules of Order to help guide
  • Discussion on whether to change to a constitution & bylaws structure
  • Recommendations for a timeline of revisions for next academic year

Student Groups : updates, events, requests – 5-10 minutes

  • ALA – Laura Gingras
    • Last meeting for the semester was in April
    • DREAD Nation Event will be Friday, May 4 & you can volunteer if you like
    • Planning for 2018-19
    • Received approval for apparel fundraiser
  • SLA – Janis Shearer
    • New officers elected & are planning for 2018-19
    • Begin planning for Holiday Silent Auction earlier than usual
    • All officers will graduate in Spring 2018 – we hope all will consider getting involved in leadership!
    • Visit our blog for updates!
  • SAA – Deb Eschweiler
    • 11 minute meeting
    • Welcomed new officers
    • Job Seekers & Resume Panel followed
  • PLG – Sierra Pandy
    • April Union Panel went well & planning similar event in Fall 2018
    • Intend to meet during summer
    • Working to organize & plan events
    • Will rotate meeting leadership

Topics – 10 minutes

  • ePortfolio panel video accessible via links on the Blog/ePortfolio page
    • Discuss
    • LIS dept is working on adding web link to ePortfolio help page
  • Justina Ireland Dread Nation event
    • Friday, May 4th, 6-9pm
    • Recital Hall, Music Building
    • More information at this FB Event link
  • Campus Integration – how will student centered space be impacted?
    • Deb E met with Emily Asch on April 6th to discuss the phases of library integration.
    • Meeting with the integration team was happening soon, and Emily put Deb on the email list for the results of that email. A copy can be found at this link.
    • Students will be involved in future planning phases. We (collectively) need to pay attention to them and get involved. We are students with our classrooms in the CdC, so we are impacted more so than many other groups.
  • Cloud Library film – update from Esther Jones and/or GSAB rep(s)
    • Esther was not present at this meeting
  • Ideas to increase student involvement in SGO
    • Recommend future SGO meetings be scheduled on same night as 7010 classes (fall 2018 will meet on Tuesdays in-person)
    • Elect/volunteer new student rep from 7010, contact may encourage more involvement (there will be an online & F2F class in fall 2018)
  • Dr. Molaro’s coffee hour was April 11th
    • Questions included those about enrollment, online course mix, daytime & weekend course offerings and weekend course offerings.
    • There was discussion about how course offerings and title don’t fully support our social justice mission. Student(s) had looked at courses at other programs and thought the program could do better.
    • There is uncertainty on how to request courses, such as on-demand courses and how new courses are created.
    • Course suggestions on data curation, digital preservation, project management, and program evaluation
    • Summer course offerings could be expanded.  4 of 13 students attending did not register for class this summer but would have if there was an appropriate course offered, such as a higher level core course.
    • Students felt heard at the previous coffee hour. They see the changes in the zero-credit ePortfolio course and providing choice in core course faculty. They are glad that we hold the coffee hour every semester.
    • If you have any questions, you can contact Dr. Molaro or lissgo@gmail.com
  • Scholarships
    • Do you apply for scholarships? How do you find scholarships? Do you want to know more about scholarships? Should SGO invest time into this?
      • There is interest
        • Ideas include a shared google doc for students or a libguide

 

Committees Reports – 5 minutes

We never had a full complement of committee reps this year because the rep positions changed this academic year. With the graduation of Antonio Backman (Faculty Development), Kristell Benson (Facilities) and Wendy Dickman (Student Services), and the addition of the Systematic Planning committee, we had many seats to fill. We have three new reps this year: Edward Malnar (Systematic Planning), Diane Lochner (Curriculum) & Mary Pukenis (Facilities). We are seeking a Faculty rep and a Student Services rep. I encourage filling these seats at this meeting, most importantly the Student Services, because a big part of SS is working on orientation.

  • Standard I “Systematic Planning” – Edward Malnar (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lim)
    • Met 18 April to review surveys by which we will be conducting an internal/environmental study to guide planning in the coming year(s).  Surveys reviewed included entering students, exiting students, recent graduates, practicum supervisors, and local employer surveys.  This study should address the effectiveness of the program and its learning objectives as they relate to field needs and success of degree-holding graduates to guide our planning process.
    • Final editing is being completed so that the surveys can be distributed soon (for students) and within the next few months (for the rest).  We shall be meeting next on 16 May.
  • Standard II “Curriculum”–Diane Lochner (Faculty Chair is Dr. Yukawa)
    • Dr. Hammond shared that faculty are working on revising the guidelines and rubric for the ePortfolio
  • Standard III “Faculty” – Seeking new rep (Faculty Chair is Dr. Dahlen)
    • Who will be the faculty chair for fall 2018?
    • The Faculty Development Committee, chaired by Dr. Sarah Dahlen, is charged with supporting faculty in teaching, research, and service. Some of their activities include maintaining the Faculty Handbook, planning the annual adjunct dinner, and facilitating an MLIS faculty and staff coffee hour about once a month.
    • Lindsay Whipple volunteered to represent SGO
  • Standard IV “Students” – Seeking new rep (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lesniaski)
    • The Student Services MLIS faculty committee was formed in AY 2010-2011. Previously, the faculty committee was the Scholarship committee.

Main Activities’ Oversight:

New student orientation, scholarships and awards, FLDS Student Faculty Research Project Funding, MLIS student groups, MLIS student handbook & other topics as they relate to student life (e.g. the committee may be asked to review or make recommendations on student policies)

    • Trish Vaillancourt volunteered to represent SGO until a new rep is appointed
  • Standard  V “Facilities” – Mary Pukenis (Faculty Chair is Dr. Ross)
    • We are meeting during the summer or in the fall as our next step.

 

Questions? Comments?

 

Attendees:

 

Heidi, Alyson, Lindsay, Sierra, Dan, Ann, Heather, Trish, Deb E., Janis, Laura G. & Cydnee P.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s