Meeting Minutes 12.5.2017

Welcome/Introductions – 5 minutes

Open Forum – 10 minutes

  • What do you want to talk about?
    • St. Kate’s Facebook Group Guidelines
  • Sign Cards for Graduates
    • 36 student cards were circulated to sign
  • Check your email & respond to the LIS Community Mixer survey

Financials – 3 minutes

  • Treasury update -Trish
    • $4,110.67 current balance

Change Meeting Format Update – 3 minutes

We discussed a Saturday meeting option for all student groups

  • Pros
    • Opportunities for collaboration
    • Socialize with one another
    • Meeting jointly
    • Groups may continue to meet outside the alt date/time
  • Cons
    • Time & availability
    • Confusion about joint meetings
    • Groups may continue to meet outside the alt date/time

We intend to poll MLIS students to gauge student interest

Screening of Books and Clouds (Libros y Nubes) – 5 minutes

  • Brought to us by Esther Jones
  • The Italian film distributors say a typical non-commercial screening is about $176 USD. Can send either digital copy/DVD/Blu-Ray.
  • Is this something we are interested in pursuing? Is this something we pass on to a student group?
    • 85 minutes in length
    • Purpose: Promote conversation around local community values
    • Options include: opening up to all St. Kates students, panel discussion afterwards, partner with MIPS, Center for Women, include popcorn,
    • SGO will discuss with GSAB re: funding, interest

Student Groups – 4 minutes

  • ALA – Lauren Cottrell
    • Laura Gingras was elected as ALA’s Co-chair.
    • Other officers are returning Lauren Cottrell (Co-chair), Salie Olson (Treasurer), and Rose Prullage (Secretary).
    • We are having a meeting on January 10th at 6:00 pm. Location is TBD still.
    • Next semester our meeting will be the third Wednesday of the month. Dates are February 21st, March 21st, and April 18th. We do not currently have a meeting scheduled for May. We are planning to meet at 5:00 pm in room #17 and have Google hangout as an option for remote participation.
    • On March 3rd at 12:00 pm, we will be hosting school librarians who will talk with us about their positions. Details will be available next semester.
  • SLA – Janis Shearer
    • Visit our blog for our latest news & events!
  • SAA – Deb Eschweiler
    • Ann Arntson was elected vice-president, Nick Riordan was elected secretary. They will be filling the shoes of graduating co-chair, Zach Jansen and secretary David Norris.
    • SAA members are open to the idea of Saturday all-student group meetings.
    • Heather Carroll presented at the TCART Symposium at the Mpls Central Library on Nov 6th. Her presentation was on outreach for access and using social media and blogs to reach audiences, and specifically on her work with the Weisman Art Museum files at the University of Minnesota archives.
    • New Professionals Brown Bag lunch event was Saturday, Dec. 2. 18 attended. Standing (er, sitting on floor) room only! Good discussion and tales told by the panelists.
    • Movie screening December 18th in the VAB. Deb Torres offered to loan a documentary called Hollywood Librarian about the portrayal of librarians in film. Details to come.
    • Planning spring events, including ideas for the LIS Mixer and an Archives button-making party
  • PLG – Salie Olson

Committees – 5 minutes

  • Standard I “Systematic Planning” – Edward Malnar (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lim)
    • Most recent planning work (vision, mission, SLOs) will stand as is until the accreditation process is complete.  We will consider revising those as suggested by the reviewers.
    • The Committee’s current focus is department priorities.  This year we will form the priorities and provide a foundation for an upcoming five-year strategic plan (2018-2023).
    • Priorities will be based on SWOT analysis, undertaken with consideration of three groups:
    • 1. Faculty retreat (December)
    • 2. Student body (to be completed by February)
    • 3. Key stakeholders at MLIS Summit (April),
    • with the first draft of priorities to be completed by March.  Stakeholder input will provide added check to the completed draft.
  • Standard II “Curriculum”– Deb Eschweiler (Faculty Chair is Dr. Yukawa)
    • Curriculum committee met on November 4th & December 4th
    • Reviewed role of research methods in LIS education
    • MLIS research methods requirement & the fit with the Grad College’s new articulation of research education
    • Reviewed the ALA’s accreditation requirements regarding research, discussed the place of research methods course(s) in the program
    • Discussed the ERP comments in the exit interview. Research Methods was a focus of the student discussion.
    • Students’ comments, positive, negative, and neutral, on the current Research Methods course, were discussed.
    • Discussed the current state of research and research courses offered within the program. Discussion will continue.
    • Discussed the training offered to faculty to move courses online. Some professors will take a four week course over J-Term offered by the University to prepare.

 

  • Standard III “Faculty” – Kallie Schell (Faculty Chair is Dr. Dahlen)
  • Standard IV “Students” – Wendy Dickman (Faculty Chair is Dr. Lesniaski)
  • Standard  V “Facilities” – Mary Pukenis (Faculty Chair is Dr. Ross)
    • The Facilities Committee (Administration, Finance, and Resources group) will be having an official meeting will all the committee members from 4-5pm December 12th in CdC 17
  • Committee seeking student rep:
    • Standard II “Curriculum” – Faculty Chair is Dr. Yukawa

Questions? Comments?

Advertisements