Meeting Minutes 11.10.16

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Our conference call-in option is now available on an as-requested basis. If you are unable to physically attend the meeting but want to listen in or add your two cents, email us at lissgo@gmail.com and ask how you can call in!

Welcome/Introductions

Graduate Reception

  • Monday, December 19, 2016 @ 6:30pm, room TBA but usually in CdC 401
    • Tasha & Allison (maybe)
  • Can anyone come to help hand out cards?
  • Sam will prepare cards and hand around at next SGO meeting for everyone to sign

Financials

  • Funding Approvals – approved 5
  • Treasury update – Allison Current
    • $6,436.15 → $7,355 (got our allocation)
  • Presented the funding information session to Prof. Konhe Yoon’s intro class on October 25th

Student Groups

  • ALA – Tasha McLachlan
    • Had meeting yesterday.
    • Talking about partnerships with other “letter groups”
    • Bowling thing! In May.
    • Panel in the spring
    • Information going out about the Student-to-Staff Program soon
  • SLA – Sarah Larsen & Katelyn Torell
    • Meeting next Thursday – move time slightly earlier due to town hall
    • Information Professionals Panel
      • Nov. 28 @ 6:00pm
      • 5 panelists
    • SLA-MN Holiday Party
      • Dec. 5 @ 5:30pm, HGA Architects & Engineers
      • Donate to the silent auction! Contact selarsen2@stkate.edu to donate
      • All MLIS students are welcome to attend! Cost is $20 but there are sponsorships.
      • Great food and booze!
  • SAA – Kristell Benson
    • No meeting since last SGO meeting
    • MHS Tour got cancelled, trying to figure out a future time, probably end of november – email Sara Butterfass for info
    • Figuring out details for bowling extravaganza in spring
  • PLG – Salie Olson
    • Plg is still working on a speaker. We’re hoping to get shirts. Also looking at possibility of using another small event at the east side freedom library, but very preliminary at this point. David Lesniaski is still working on fixing little free library. Jk free library is BACK!
    • Sal Olson will be new PLG chair come Feb

Committees

  • Faculty Development – Antonio Backman
    • Adjunct Dinner was on Mon, November 7
  • Student Services – Wendy Dickman
    • Children in class – suggested taking the rule of no children in class out of the MLIS handbook as it is covered elsewhere in university policy
    • Student travel – how to ensure students will be covered
    • Fall orientation results & pre-registration survey
    • Student Town Halls happening Nov. 15 and 17, prob CdC 5
      • Tasha will attend Nov. 15, can anyone else go on the 17th? Deb and Sarah.
      • Brief meeting for students to gather and talk about issues with the program
      • 5:30pm – 6:00pm
    • Student repository – universal repository for past student work, working with Toyin to create
    • Can read the full minutes here.
  • Facilities – Kristell Benson
    • Hasn’t met yet.
  • Curriculum – Deb Eschweiler
    • Course enrollment minimum is changing to 12 in spring. But always been 12 and we’ve been allowed to have 8.
    • No Internet Fundamentals course for spring? Put it on FB.
  • Program – Samantha Stepp
    • Accreditation
      • Received list of people on external review panel this past Monday.
      • Updated self-review schedule
    • Might offer daytime classes in the future – 84% of 86 respondents in a survey expressed interest in them. Might also try out online courses – test drive during the summer.
    • Deb Grealy is retiring – leaving Jan 2018. Looking for a faculty member to step up and come Program Director (which is different from a Dean).
  • GSAB update – Allison Current, Deb Eschweiler, Janis Shearer
    • Funding proposal for food insecurity – Access & Success. Putting out snacks and bagged meals for students. Pilot program – chose to fund the pilot ($1,000) so will come back with data on how much it costs, etc.

Open Forum

What do you want to talk about? Anything we want student reps to tell committees?

Portfolio

From Prof. Joyce Yukawa’s response:

  • Any student can use any platform they like for the portfolio.
  • Students should refer to the rubric at the end of the new guidelines regarding any specific questions they have about how the portfolio will be evaluated.
  • The faculty plan to create a video explaining in more detail how to do the portfolio, including artifact selection and reflection.
  • Portfolio page on new internal website will link to good examples of past portfolios.

Reaching out to online MLIS students

Formulated email message, created list of online MLIS program directors to send it to. Will send it out mid-January.

Business Cards

Demand for business cards? I think the copy office prints them by department. Could ask Career Services about it. Janis will email printing office and ask about it.

Questions? Comments?

Advertisements